Sunday, March 29, 2020

Margaret Atwood on pandemics

“So here we are again”: Margaret Atwood writes about pandemics and this pandemic. She offers six possible responses (individual, not institutional) and recommends nos. 1, 3, 5, and 6.

Our household has already picked those four, but I still find it helpful to hear (in my head) what Atwood has written. And we need all the encouraging, helpful words we can get.

Thanks, Stephen.

[I recognize that Atwood doesn’t address the dangers and economic hardship that many people face in this pandemic. And yes, I hear the words in my head as I read. I am a slow reader.]

comments: 2

J D Lowe said...

She notes in the article that the list came from her book Payback. I highly recommend reading it. It was based on her series of Massey Lectures, and it appears the CBC has them online here: https://www.cbc.ca/radio/ideas/the-2008-cbc-massey-lectures-payback-debt-and-the-shadow-side-of-wealth-1.2946880

Michael Leddy said...

Excellent — thank you, Jim.