Saturday, March 14, 2020

Andreas Brown (1933–2020)

“A bibliophile since childhood who bought the revered Gotham Book Mart in Midtown Manhattan from its idiosyncratic founder, Frances Steloff, and kept it alive as a frowzy literary shrine for four more decades”: from the New York Times obituary.

I’m pretty sure I saw Andreas Brown on one of my trips to the Gotham. He might have been the guy showing me the rare Ted Berrigan stuff — I just don’t know. I know that I saw Frances Steloff at least once, sitting in an alcove back near the tables of little magazines.

comments: 2

Chris said...

I heard this news the other day, but a bit cryptically, on the Facebook feed of the Edward Gorey House. There was no confirmation anywhere so I didn't mention it to anyone elsre. Glad to see the Times has taken notice.

I'm not sure if I ever saw Brown in the Gotham; he was probably there and I didn't know who he was. I definitely saw Frances Steloff puttering around (this would have been in the 1970s), and I saw Gorey once or twice. I miss that store.

Michael Leddy said...

It was truly, to borrow the title of the novel I’m reading, a world of wonders.