Saturday, January 4, 2020

Today’s Saturday Stumper

Today’s Newsday Saturday Stumper is by Anna Stiga — that is, Stan Again, or crossword editor Stan Newman working under one of the pen names he uses with easier Stumpers of his making. This Stumper was pretty do-able, though a nest of small words near the puzzle’s center made things difficult for me: 23-D, five letters, “Gang members.” 26-A, three letters, “What 7 may be used instead of.” 26-D, four letters, “Daisy Duck niece.” 32-A, four letters, “Fell.” Wha?

Some clues of interest:

17-A, ten letters, “Old name for the giraffe.” I know the word from Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, but I thought it hailed from the world of cryptids.

30-A, seven letters, “Popular bar since the ’20s.” I have never partaken. Have you?

30-D, five letters, “Ersatz duck calls.” An insult!

34-D, seven letters, “Introducer of ‘Trouble’ (1957).” The board game? No, that would be six letters, in 1965 (KOHNER). I had to DuckDuckGo to make sense of the answer.

43-D, six letters, “Walk.” Kinda dowdy.

44-A, nine letters, “Neon sign seen in Looney Tunes.” I thought of A Mighty Wind.

No spoilers: the answers, not in neon, are in the comments.

comments: 3

Michael Leddy said...

PUNKS. JUL. JUNE. SANK. CAMELOPARD. OHHENRY. OBOES. PRESTON. HOOFIT. EATATJOES.

The Meredith Willson song has been known as “Trouble,” “(Ya Got) Trouble,” and “Ya Got Trouble.” Robert Preston sang it in The Music Man.

shallnot said...

JUL? Boo! Why not SUN or SAT (depending on your week starter); or SIEben; or SEPt? I’d only accept JULY as there was no indication of an abbreviation.

Oh, yes, “Comedy duck callers” might be a better choice.

Steven

Michael Leddy said...

Steven, I thought I replied to your comment yesterday. I agree that JUL is a stretch. And I can’t help seeing it as a misspelling of JUUL.

I thought of “Orchestra tuners” for OBOES and am surprised to see it’s been done. Elaine suggests “High reeds.”