Saturday, November 9, 2019

Today’s Saturday Stumper

Today’s Newsday Saturday Stumper, by Greg Johnson, begins with a clue that baffled me: 1-A, seven letters, “Pharaoh-era figurine.” Oh, but look, there’s 1-D, eight letters, “Place to buy inedible peanuts.” And off I went. And I found further gimmes helpfully scattered through the grid: 14-D, eight letters, “+ or -, to mathematicians.” 24-D, eleven letters, “California flag depiction.” 44-D, six letters, “Astronaut who found Eden (1965).” 48-D, six letters, “LeVar’s mom on Roots.”

Three non-gimmes I especially liked: 38-A, nine letters, “What cats crave.” 57-A, seven letters, “How some cars are made.” (BYROBOT? No.) 59-A, seven letters, “Volume control device.” And two clues that, along with 1-A, taught me something: 18-A, seven letters, “Dogood, for Franklin.” And 21-D, four letters, “Word from Old English for ‘useless.’”

No spoilers: the answers are in the comments.

comments: 7

Michael Leddy said...

USHABTI. UPSSTORE. OPERATOR. GRIZZLYBEAR. HAGMAN. CICELY. JAZZMUSIC. ARMORED. EREADER. PENNAME. IDLE.

Elaine said...

Did it in one breakfast sitting! This never happens to me! Blue moon!

Michael Leddy said...

Huzzah!

LAN said...

Help please. I don’t understand The answer for 60 down. Clue is “stopping Tech”. I got the answer but I’m not sure if I’m supposed to post spoilers here.

Michael Leddy said...

I puzzled (sorry) over that one. ABS = antilock braking system.

I’m sure that blogs vary, but I think that Including an answer in a comment here is fine, as there are already a bunch of answers here. :)

LAN said...

@Michael Leddy.
Thx so much. Couldn’t figure it out for the life of me.

Michael Leddy said...

You’re welcome. :)