Saturday, November 23, 2019

Gahan Wilson (1930–2019)

The cartoonist Gahan Wilson has died at the age of eighty-nine. The New York Times has an obituary and a sampler of his work. The New Yorker has a reminiscence from fellow cartoonist Michael Maslin, with more Wilson cartoons.

comments: 5

Geo-B said...

This guy was a real classic, a definite sensibility.

Michael Leddy said...

And how. I think I first saw his work in National Lampoon, when I was in middle school.

Michael Leddy said...

No, high school. I looked at a gallery of covers to figure out the date.

brownstudy said...

He also had monthly cartoons in The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction and Playboy (the latter always a full-page color drawing). I had most of his collections in my 20s. Great stuff.

Michael Leddy said...

I thought we had a couple (along with Charles Addams and Edward Gorey), but no. It’s off to the library.