Saturday, September 28, 2019

Today’s Saturday Stumper

Today’s Newsday Saturday Stumper, by Matthew Sewell, was a pleasure to solve. I started with 6-D, six letters, “Stop making excuses,” filling in an answer that just seemed right. It gave me 23-A, four letters, “Highly quarrelsome,” which in turn gave me 24-D, eleven letters, “Flips,” and so on. I filled in a few unconnected answers here and there, but solving the puzzle hinged, for me, on 6-D. It’s always a good idea to stop making excuses.

Clues I especially liked: 2-D, seven letters, “Warm-up circuit.” (Nothing to do with old radios or televisions.) 53-A, seven letters, “Iniciador de conversación.” 58-A, eleven letters, “Austere calling.” 60-D, “Booker, for short.” And the aforementioned 24-D. And the strange-sounding 32-D, six letters, “What a rear window may go up with.” ALFRED, as in Hitchcock?

No spoilers: the answers are in the comments.

comments: 2

Michael Leddy said...

FESSUP. UGLY. GOES BANANAS. PACELAP. (Remembered from my boyhood interest in “race cars.”) QUEPASA. MONASTICISM. SEN. RAGTOP.

joecab said...

Oh god what a solving disaster this was: peeved instead of piqued, ESPN for "Anchorage setting" (get it?) instead of cove, ops (Shortened ways) instead of rds, posited (put forward( instead of provide, AP pupil (???) instead of advisee .... I'm going back to bed and pulling the covers over my head 😭