Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Harry’s Wagon

I like this diner, as seen in Dark Passage (dir. Delmar Daves, 1947). Harry’s Wagon was a genuine diner, at 1921 Post Street, San Francisco. Reel SF has the details.


[Click any image for a larger view.]

Vincent Parry/Allan Linnell (Humphrey Bogart) orders ham-and-eggs and coffee from the genial counterman (Tom Fadden). If it weren’t so early, or so late, the Hot Baked Ham might be tempting: Potatoes - Salad - Drink & Desert.


[“How’ll you have the eggs?” “Easy.” “Easy does it.”]

But that guy at the other end of the car? (That’s him in the first of these images.) He’s not just some guy. He’s a police detective (Douglas Kennedy), and that’s going to mean trouble.



Note the time: 4:45 a.m., and Harry’s Wagon is open for business.

[There’s never a conversation about how to spell Parry’s new name. In David Goodis’s 1946 novel it’s as I’ve spelled it here.]

comments: 5

Fresca said...

This reminds me of the ominous opening of "The Killers"--you've seen it?
Two hit men stop at Henry's Diner one evening, looking for Burt Lancaster.

Fresca said...

Oh! Ha-ha, I'm catching up on your blog, reading backward, and there's "The Killers" on your latest list of movies (which I always enjoy). Maybe my favorite film noir movie.

Michael Leddy said...

It’s a great one. Four stars! :)

Slywy said...

Isn’t a desert dry going down?

Michael Leddy said...

I’m glad you caught that. I wonder if it’s in there by intent.