Friday, May 10, 2019

Zippy’s Tad’s


[“Red Meat.” Zippy, May 10, 2019.]

There is but one Tad’s Steaks left in Manhattan. The address is 761 7th Avenue, though the restaurant is on 50th Street, flanked by a Tim Horton’s and Bobby Van's Grill. If Zippy is at the Times Square Tad’s, it really must be 1962 all over again.

Here’s an article on the history of Tad’s Steaks, once a coast-to-coast chain. (Remember “coast-to-coast”?) The Yelp reviews for the remaining Tad’s are interesting. “This is the absolute best steak in the city”: well, okay.

Years ago I would have said to Elaine, We have to go there. Today I would say, No, we don’t.


[From Harold H. Hart’s Hart’s Guide to New York City (New York: Hart Publishing, 1964). Click for a larger view.]

Related reading
All OCA Zippy posts (Pinboard)
More from Hart’s Guide

comments: 7

Geo-B said...

When I was in 9th grade my family moved from the East, to Cincinnati. There, pre-driving, I played in the Cincinnati YMCA Youth Symphonic Band (we played at the World's Fair in NY and the Canadian Exposition in Toronto). Living in a western suburb, I would be driven downtown by my father Saturday morn, and I would spend the day down there, usually eating no lunch and going to a movie (for a dollar and change), and returning home by bus. Once in a great while I would stop in a Tad's Steak House for lunch and get a steak dinner, again for a buck and change. It seemed quite luxury, an adult experience.

Geo-B said...

I should have mentioned this would have been around 1963.

Michael Leddy said...

That’s a great memory to have — early adventures in autonomy. So far we have ’62, ’63, and ’64. I wonder how many other people are remembering a Tad’s today.

Geo-B said...

I'm glad that I read the article "Farewell to Tad's," which you provided a link to, because when I wrote yesterday I wanted to write about the wall paper, which I was always impressed by but I didn't now how to describe it. It was white with a fuzzy doily-like design, which the article calls "flocked red wallpaper embossed with an ornate "T" logo." "Flocked," not a word I would be able to call to mind, except for fake snow on Christmas trees, or snowflakes created on windows with Bon-Ami. Gosh, the stuff that's stuck in memory. "Flocked," "Bon-Ami." Rather than de-cluttering, I will keep this.

Michael Leddy said...

I guess Hart’s Guide speaks the truth: “Décor and atmosphere are well above cafeteria standards.”

Bon-Ami: that’s how people made snowflakes?!

Geo-B said...

I may be mistaken but there was some kind of foamy window cleaner, and you would squirt it on the window with a snowflake stencil to make a pattern in winter. I thought the name was Bon-Ami. We didn't use it in my house. We just used Windex.

Michael Leddy said...

Same here — all I know is Windex, and the only Bon-Ami I know is a powder in a can. Maybe there was/is a spray too.