Saturday, May 18, 2019

Today’s Saturday Stumper

Today’s Newsday Saturday Stumper, by Greg Johnson, offers a good challenge. In other words, a challenge that can be met. There are moments of odd trivia, such as 34-Across, ten letters, “Iceland, originally.” Or 55-Down, four letters, “Salutation popularized by ‘A Farewell to Arms.’” And moments of odd opacity, such as 3-Down, four letters, “Organic digger.” Or 48-Down, four letters, “The ‘where.’” (What?)

My favorite clues from this puzzle: 29-Across, eight letters, “What strollers carry with them.” 40-Across, four letters, “She’s seen in middle names.” And 41-Across, ten letters, “Cooler in the summer.” Especially 41-Across.

No spoilers: the answers are in the comments.

comments: 5

Michael Leddy said...

MOLTENLAVA. CIAO. TUSK. SITE.

LEGRESTS. LENA. ITALIANICE.

LENA? MiddLE NAmes.

shallnot said...

“What strollers...”: how about PARASOLS?

LENA could be for those who say they can’t do English-style, a.k.a. cryptic, crosswords.

Steven

Michael Leddy said...

Nice answer!

Elaine said...

I finally gave up. Middle names suggested LENA, but it made no sense to me.
I had ITALIAN ICE, but LEG RESTS was just...not there! AndI had a crippled child who needed those!!! But oh well.
I go down, again, in defeat, and I salute you, MLeddy!

Michael Leddy said...

It’s terrible to get the answer but have no idea what’s going on. It happens too often for me with the NYT puzzle, when the wackiness eludes me.