Thursday, March 7, 2019

Hipster look-alikes

An amusing item from The Washington Post: “Hipsters all look the same, man inadvertently confirms.”

I recall my eight-grade science teacher Mr. Fox going off on a tangent one afternoon about conformity: about how no hippie would leave the house without his love beads arranged just so. The hippies too, he said, were conforming. Mr. Fox was onto something. He was rumored to be a former FBI agent.

[Love beads: I swear. I’ve always remembered that detail.]

comments: 2

Daughter Number Three said...

Wow, your science teacher sounds like the brother of my sixth grade English teacher. http://daughternumberthree.blogspot.com/2015/03/everything-is-beautiful.html

Michael Leddy said...

Gee, I don’t know — my teacher, as far as I could see, was a truly kind and generous man. He wasn’t slamming hippies, just pointing out the irony of non-conformists who were, in their own way, as he saw it, conforming. Your English teacher sounds pretty hateful. He makes me remember one of our high-school math teachers (not mine), who once slammed his classroom door so hard that the glass in its window broke.