Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Embarrassment: mild, fleeting

We live about thirty miles from an Amish community, whose members often shop at our town’s Aldi. I see families buying, say, six dozen eggs, six gallons of milk at a time. It’s like industrial-grade shopping.

Last week Aldi had a special on Lagunitas Little Sumpin’ Sumpin’ Ale. A recognizable brand! So I bought a twelve-pack. And as I left the store, twelve-pack in hand, I found myself walking past a little old Amish man, who was waiting, I believe, while his family shopped.

Yes, Little Sumpin’ Sumpin’ is the one with the scantily clad lady on the label. She wears a bustier, short shorts, and boots. She’s on the twelve-pack box too, wearing larger sizes. I felt so English.

File under “Embarrassment: mild, fleeting.”

[Aldi’s store-brand beers are uniformly disappointing. But their Winking Owl Shiraz ($2.89!) is surprisingly good. Elaine calls it Vinking Owl, to honor Aldi’s German origins.]

comments: 0