Saturday, November 24, 2018

Little Everywhere and Stitcher, sheesh

From episode four of the podcast The Dream: “Robert and him struck up a friendship.” And twelve seconds later: “Him and Robert also had the idea.” And as a bonus, just thirty seconds away, a left dislocation: ”So William Penn Patrick, he ran for governor.”

When Elaine and I heard “Robert and him” this morning, on a walk, each of us on a device, her and me cried out in dismay.

Related reading
All OCA sheesh posts (Pinboard)

comments: 2

shallnot said...

My grade three teacher spent all of 30 or 40 minutes "learning" us the difference between he/she and I & he/she and me (and their variants). This was followed by supplementary exercises over the next several days.

I believe that grade three teachers haven't done that in the last 25 or 30 years or so.

Michael Leddy said...

In retrospect, I’m grateful for the instruction in grammar I received in elementary school and high school. Tedious, as rote learning probably always is. But rote learning can make it possible to go on to more interesting things.