Thursday, August 23, 2018

NameChanger

NameChanger is a free app for macOS and OS X that makes renaming files easier. Go from, say, IMG_3501.JPG, IMG_3502.JPG, and so on to a more meaningful sequence. NameChanger is powerful but not especially intuitive. The app’s Help page explains the many options for renaming.

 
[NameChanger’s icon and a substitute.]

I dislike pen or pencil icons, so I used the free app LiteIcon to turn a free n into an icon.

*

August 26: As shallnot points out in a comment, batch renaming is available in the Finder. Who knew? Not me. Here’s a brief tutorial. Thanks, shallnot.

comments: 2

shallnot said...

While much of what NameChanger does can be done in most recent version of macos’ Finder[*] I do like the thought of applying changes to all sub-directories.

I’ll have to give this a look. Thanks for the link.

[*]: Select files in Finder. Right-click (ctrl+click) to get context menu. Select rename and a similar dialogue to NameChanger appears.

Michael Leddy said...

I think I just learned something about the Finder. I’ll have to look more closely (tomorrow).