Saturday, July 28, 2018

From the Saturday Stumper

Today’s Newsday Saturday Stumper, by “Anna Stiga” (“Stan again,” Stan Newman, the puzzle’s editor) is highly doable. Why do I always want to type doable with a hyphen?

Two clues that I especially liked: 17-Across, ten letters: “Common pub fare.” And 44-Down, six letters: “Word from the Greek for ‘wanderer.’” No spoilers: the answers are in the comments.

comments: 2

Michael Leddy said...

TRIVIA GAME. PLANET.

Merriam-Webster explains: “Planet goes back to ancient Greek planēt- (literally, ‘wanderer’), which is derived from planasthai, a Greek verb which means ‘to wander.’”

I’ll add: in Homer’s Odyssey, line 2, Odysseus is described as πλάγχθη, plankhthē, “made to wander.”

Michael Leddy said...

Where are my crossword manners? I should have typed it as one word: TRIVIAGAME.