Friday, July 6, 2018

Beautiful libraries

From the BBC, some of the world’s most beautiful libraries.

The most beautiful library I’ve ever used: Fordham University’s Duane Library, with tiers, nooks, crannies, passageways, mysterious doors, and spiral staircases. Here is a 1951 photograph that gives a good idea of the library’s main space. Dig the tiers! (When I was a student, tables alternated with the shelves, making for cozy little workspaces.) And here are recent photographs of the remodeled multi-purpose Duane, tiers and shelves removed, no longer a library. I liked working in the little room with the spiral staircase, which I think was in the Bs: philosophy. What’s the most beautiful library you know?

comments: 10

Berit said...

...But, what is "an ambitious mixed-use program"???

Michael Leddy said...

Visitors’ center, one or more academic departments.

You can see the old Duane, briefly, in the library scene of Love Story.

Michael Leddy said...

Here’s a link to Duane’s Love Story cameo, with much more of Ali MacGraw and Ryan O’Neal than of the library.

Pete said...

I saw a gorgeous one yesterday: the law library at the University of Michigan. Very gothic.

Michael Leddy said...

I just did an image search: wow.

Frex said...

I spent an afternoon reading in the Duke Humfrey's Library in the Bodelian--the feel and scent of ancient leather volumes, wood (oak?) beams, and worn stone don't come through in photos, but it remains the most beautiful library in my life.

Michael Leddy said...

There’s something about a mezzanine, or several of them. (I think that’s what those tiers are called.)

Frex said...

I was also remembering library scenes in the movie of The Pelican Brief--the setting stayed with me--looked it up, and it's the Georgetown Law Library--filmed on site.

Michael Leddy said...

Beautiful. And still a library with books. You know about the book-less trend in college libraries, yes?

Fresca said...

Ergh. Yes. Even back in 1999, the college president at the MCAD (art) library where I worked said we didn't need books anymore. I think he thought we didn't need fine art anymore either--pushed to replace a lot with digital arts.
WHY NOT BOTH!!?!?!