Saturday, February 3, 2018

From the Saturday Stumper

A bit of popular culture, from today’s Newsday Saturday Stumper, 21-Across, seven letters: “’50s game craze.” I will spoil: CANASTA.

I know I’ve heard of Canasta, which turns up in at least a couple of episodes of I Love Lucy. The game was indeed a craze. The December 19, 1949 issue of Life made the call, with a report on “The Canasta Craze,” “reminiscent of the great mah-jongg rage of the ’20s.”



[Click either page for a larger view of the bewildering rules.]

Today’s Stumper, by Lester Ruff, seems not especially difficult. I have begun to doubt that finishing a Saturday Stumper is cause for minor self-congratulation. Canasta, anyone?

comments: 4

misterbagman said...

My wife's family has a massive canasta festival every time we get together for a holiday. I'm good for maybe one or two trips around the pegboard and then I'm out. But they go at it for hours.

Michael Leddy said...

I think you’re thinking of cribbage, no?

Elaine said...

We played endless games of Canasta as kids (Fifties) though later in that decade we learned cribbage. bBoth great games that we still enjoy!

Michael Leddy said...

Cool! Could you say which is more difficult to learn?