Sunday, June 11, 2017

Roscoe Mitchell at Mills

The composer and multi-instrumentalist Roscoe Mitchell is one of eleven Mills College faculty members slated for dismissal. Mitchell is the Darius Milhaud Professor of Music at Mills. The firing of faculty is part of Mills’s camel-cased “vision” for the future, MillsNext.

*

June 30: Mitchell’s position is safe. From a statement posted to Facebook:

Mills College has decided not to terminate my current three-year contract. . . .

I consider myself incredibly fortunate to have had the support of teachers, students, musicians, music lovers, and all others who spoke out to defend the value of creative music and the arts at-large. That said, I would like to acknowledge those of my fellow professors who Mills chose to let go, in spite of the outpouring of support for them and alternate plans proposed by dedicated individuals seeking a more favorable outcome.
Related reading
Other OCA Roscoe Mitchell posts

comments: 0