Saturday, June 3, 2017

From the Saturday Stumper

A wonderful clue from today’s Newsday Saturday Stumper, 17-Across, six letters: “Poached, but not scrambled.” No spoilers: the answer is in the comments.

Today’s puzzle is by “Anna Stiga”: the name is a not-so-secret pseudonym of Stan Newman, Newsday’s crossword editor. Full explanation here.

comments: 10

Michael Leddy said...

STOLEN.

The Crow said...

Uffh! I just knew it had to be salmon...which could be both, come to think of it; once in the thief's creel, then in a white wine court bouillon.

Michael Leddy said...

Makes me want to reconsider what we’re doing for dinner (hummus, etc.).

The Crow said...

Poached salmon is delicious with a home-made mayonnaise, composed of the usual suspects...uh, ingredients (eggs, oil, acid), but substituting a light salad oil for the heavier extra-virgin olive oil and lemon (or lime) juice for the vinegar. Add fresh, finely-minced dill, finely-grated lemon or lime peel and a pinch each of white pepper and cayenne.

Same me some, please?

(You could use those last five ingredients for making hummus, too; non-traditional, to be sure, but I believe it would turn out delicious. I'll make some tomorrow and let you know if it's any good.)

Michael Leddy said...

I’m afraid we’re sticking with the hummus, but I will suggest this to Elaine for a future dinner. We love salmon, and she’s an ace at poaching.

Michael Leddy said...

If you’re ever out this way, there will be salmon. :)

Frex said...

I want to come too!
But shouldn't we eat sardines?
--Fresca

Michael Leddy said...

Them too!

Elaine said...

I had to get that one, letter by letter, via the crosses....

Michael Leddy said...

And the pseudonym means that it’s an easier Saturday. :)