Monday, November 14, 2016

Nell Irvin Painter on the election

Nell Irvin Painter in The New York Times on whiteness in the Trump era:

Conveniently, for most white Americans, being white has meant not having a racial identity. It means being and living and experiencing the world as an individual and not having to think about your race. . . . The Trump campaign has disrupted that easy freedom.
[No arguments here, please. I’m sharing this link because I think it’s good food for thought.]

comments: 4

Daughter Number Three said...

I'm just about to start her book The History of White People.

Fresca said...

No argument about whiteness, but not sure how much the election shook up white people's awareness. I would like to think so, but... as I saw on Tumblr today:

Person 1: well, at least people can't pretend that the US isn't a white patriarchal society anymore

Person 2: You underestimate the lengths to which white people will delude themselves that everything is fine LOL

Michael Leddy said...

Well, yes. I have to say that I feel awkwardly white. Not deluded, and aware that all is very far from well.

Fresca said...

Yes, me too.