Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Clara Cannucciari’s Depression cooking

A YouTube series with the late Clara Cannucciari: Great Depression Cooking. Heard in the episode The Poorman’s Meal: “You know, I had to quit high school, ’cause I didn’t have stockings to wear. And that’s a fact.”

See also the website Great Depression Cooking with Clara.

comments: 3

Fresca said...

My auntie (b. 1925) was just telling me about making ice-cream in a bucket, using pieces of ice the milk-delivery van driver threw out at the end of the day.

The Crow said...

Well, I was luckier than Clara. I didn't have socks, but my brother Mac did, so my mother told me to wear a pair of his argyles...much to the amusement of the girls in my 5th grade class. I went to school barefoot for a couple of weeks the year before because I'd outgrown my shoes and we had to wait until my mother got paid before she could buy new ones. That's not a sad story, though, but an example of the value of education my mother instilled in her kids.

Sad is Clara's story that she had to drop out because she was shoeless.

Michael Leddy said...

The sweet and the sad in your comments, Fresca and Crow.

My dad went to school with cardboard in his shoes — no money for soles. For his father’s bar habit, there was always money, but that’s another story.