Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Aretha Franklin at the Kennedy Center Honors

If you didn’t see her performance last night, you should see it now, before it disappears.

comments: 5

The Crow said...

Wow, what a woman!

By the end of the first chorus, I was on my feet, singing (well, that's what I call it) along with her, swaying and crying. I saved it to my favorites, then went back to listen again. Thanks for the link, Michael.

(Then I got lost in the tribute to the Almighty Bruuuuce, located in the sidebar.)

Going back for more Aretha. Listening to good r&b, good rock and roll is a great way to bring in the new year; a lovely, raucous way to lay the old year to rest.

Slywy said...

Also loved that the backup singers weren't young'uns, either.

A few years ago, Heart did a great tribute to Led Zeppelin, although Obama wasn't quite as much into it. :)

Michael Leddy said...

I had tears in my eyes watching, and before Obama did. :) Or at least before the camera went to him.

The same YouTuber who shared this clip posted Heart three years ago. (Why is there no official Kennedy Center YouTube account?)

I’m wondering if anyone will identify the backup singers online. Till then, there’s 20 Feet from Stardom .

Slywy said...

Someone commented that those cuts to people's reactions are edited iater, so you don't know who bawled first. :) (Not sure that's true. Someone was complaining about Carole King.)

This could be an official account. https://www.youtube.com/user/TheKennedyCenter

The National Park Service had one, then for reasons I didn't understand, moved, so I have two accounts to switch between (the one for older stuff).

There's a version of Heart where there's a reveal of the drummer, and everyone gasps because it's Jason Bonham, who bears a good resemblance to his dad, especially in the hat. There's a theory that's what made Plante cry.

Michael Leddy said...

D’oh — they do have an account. When I went looking for this performance and didn’t find anything from the Kennedy Center, I mistakenly concluded that they were missing. Why they (or CBS) don’t make these things available puzzles me.

I’m not a Led Zeppelin fan, but I’ll watch to see that.