Friday, September 11, 2015

The World Book Encyclopedia

This Atlantic item makes me miss the World Book Encyclopedia of my childhood. The World Book was great for school reports, and perfect for the reading room, so-called.

comments: 7

Geo-B said...

We had a World Book encyclopedia in my 5th grade class, in Frederick, Maryland, and sometimes when a question came up, the teacher would assign someone to look it up. She would always have to come looking for me, because once I cracked the volume, I was always lost reading all the entries around, before and after, and following. (By the way, whenever I spell encyclopedia, in my head I still sing the Jiminy Cricket song "e-n-c-y-c-l-o-p-e-d-i-a")

Michael Leddy said...

I had no idea there was such a song, George. Thank you! It’s at YouTube.

Michael Leddy said...

P.S.: Cliff Edwards’s pre-Cricket career is worth exploring. For instance, “I’m a Bear in a Lady’s Boudoir.”

Slywy said...

My brother got an Encyclopedia Americana and an accompanying science encyclopedia on the cheap during his Army years and had them sent to my mother. I spent happy hours buried in them, and the science volumes had some great photos, e.g., of tiny deer that I couldn't believe existed. For whatever reason, I find it harder to do such browsing online, and the wonders aren't as wondrous.

Michael Leddy said...

Browsing in, say Wikipedia, is missing the wonders of alphabet contiguity. (Is that what I mean to say? I think it is.)

Elaine said...

Not long ago we donated our set of The World Book Encyclopedia to the local library for its book sale. So often we wd look up a historical figure or battle while watching a movie or PBS presentation.....now a tablet computer serves, but I miss the WB.....

Michael Leddy said...

I can’t remember ever using an encyclopedia in that way, which seems odd. With a tablet, it’s automatic.