Monday, April 6, 2015

Sidney synchronicity

The quoted passage attached to Garner’s Usage Tip of the Day today is from Sir Philip Sidney’s Astrophel and Stella, the final lines of sonnet 1:

Biting my truant pen, beating myself for
    spite,
“Fool,” said my Muse to me, “look in thy
    heart, and write.”
I dig Sidney: Astrophel and Stella , An Apology for Poetry , Arcadia. I’m pretty sure that I read both The Old Arcadia and The New Arcadia back in grad school days. One, or both, came in the form of an enormous Penguin, orange-spined.

[The title of Sidney‘s sequence appears on a classroom blackboard in this post. You can subscribe to Garner’s Usage Tip of the Day here. I’ve used a different text from Garner’s for Sidney’s poem. Why getting lines of poetry to look right on an iPhone means having them look awkward elsewhere, I just don’t know.]

comments: 0