Thursday, January 1, 2015

Recently updated

“Think middle school report” Eyes roll everywhere as heads roll at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

Thanks, Sara.

comments: 6

JuliaR said...

OMG. I have missed the 2015 deadlines to apply for a PhD (in philosophy) so I am taking a leisurely 'extra' year now, to look at all the universities to which I want to apply. I had thought about UVa, especially as I toured the campus this summer and saw how beautiful it was. I was also looking at Dalhousie (in Halifax, NS), and last night, I was looking at UNC Chapel Hill. All three of them have now had scandals! I wonder if that philosophy prof at UNC taught ethics. Ha ha. :(

I'm going to apply to quite a few universities and that will allow me to choose from several offers, but isn't is depressing when scandals happen. Is anyone immune? I think it may be a department-level type of happening. It's probably rare that the malaise infects everyone.

Michael Leddy said...

Yes, she was in ethics. No kidding. She even ran a center.

It’s very difficult for people in academia not to go along: I think that would help to explain what was happening with lower-level people in this scandal. Then again, they could choose to walk away. Those at the top might have other explanations.

Michael Leddy said...

Oh – and best wishes for finding a good program.

Anonymous said...

Chatting with a brother-in-law about the New Year's bowl games, I mentioned the scandal, and he laughed. As a rabid football fan, he told an anecdote of another university football player who complained about having to take any classes. After all, the reasoning was, he was there to play ball. Double entendre intended, it seems many in the faculty and administration are there to play ball also.

Slywy said...

Aren't many universities like UNC in the business of athletics? Nothing to see here . . . move along . . .

Michael Leddy said...

But the especially interesting thing here is the participation of a philosopher whose speciality is (or was?) ethics.