Thursday, July 3, 2014

Some rocks — old!

At Lexikaliker, an amazing discovery: a 1556 woodcut of “some rocks.” “Some rocks” is one of the delightful details of Ernie Bushmiller’s comic strip Nancy. And “some rocks” is for me something of a a harmless obsession. Harmless so far.

Thanks, Gunther, for sharing your discovery.

comments: 4

The Crow said...

Hunh...I collect rocks; so much so that my grandson chastises me when we're together and pass landscaping rocks. "Look away from the rocks, Nanny. Leave it!" As if I were a dog, eyeing a stick.

I collect smooth river rocks, rough geological specimens, pretty-colored pebbles - all sizes, shapes, colors, types. As long as I can pick it up and carry it by myself, if I fancy it, it comes home with me.

I like to stack them, to lay them in labyrinthine swirls, to arrange them in collections - usually in threes, after the fashion of Chinese scroll painters.

Who knew(besides you and EB)? Cool!

Michael Leddy said...

Gunther knows. :) But also, many (or some?) comics fans.

I have rocks from Walden Pond and the Indiana Dunes that have been paperweights forever.

Gunther said...

Thank you, Michael! It is a harmless and pleasant obsession for me too, and I enjoy looking at my environment, hoping to find a magic triplet.

The Crow: It is very interesting to hear that the Chionese scroll painters also like three of them!

Michael Leddy said...

Martha, I didn’t realize that you were describing rocks in groups of three. Wow! They’re everywhere.

Gunther, I’m still on the lookout for “some rocks.” The Zippy collections I now have offer many examples from Zippy’s trips to Bushmiller Country.