Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Pretty much actual size


[Eraser cap. Pretty much actual size.]

In response to popular demand (a request from Fresca), here is a recreation of the missing-eraser-cap picture. I drew this one in ink, not pencil, to make a better scan. I’ve omitted the details that accompanied the original (an impassioned plea for the cap’s return, and my street address in Anytown, USA).

If anyone’s wondering what this post is all about, this post explains.

comments: 4

Fresca said...

OK, I did laugh when I saw this, but in a trippling burbling delighted way.
Really, your drawing is a very dear part of a funny story-- like something almost slapstick that might befall Antoine Doinel (you know, Truffaut's character).
Thanks!

Michael Leddy said...

Believe me, I recognized the absurdity of what I was doing as I was doing it. It even occurred to me what I’d say to someone else in the same boat (or on the same plane): “It’s just a pencil.”

I know only the first of the Truffaut movies, dimly. We just watched The Way We Get By — really good. Those three people became more and more complex as the film went on.

Fresca said...

Oh, and I just watched "Chan Is Missing" with my young friend Marz, and we both liked it a whole lot!
It totally holds up---a funny movie about the elusive nature of existence/identity.

I have a vague memory of having watched it when it came out (1982), but mostly what I remember is being impressed that it was made so cheaply ($22,000), and this before cheap digital movie cameras.
Thanks for recommending it.

I haven't rewatched the Antoine Doinel movies since I was in my 20s, but I remain fond of the young man who is both annoying and endearing (as young things can be).

Wouldn't it be funny if the airlines mailed you your cap back?

Michael Leddy said...

It would be cause for serious rejoicing if they did.

Glad you liked Chan Is Missing. I just recommended The Way We Get By to someone at dinner tonight.