Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Sales associates (Route 66)






You never know who will show up in an episode Route 66. Here are Bibi Osterwald, Soupy Sales, and Dawn Nickerson, in one of the show’s loopiest episodes, “This Is Going to Hurt Me More Than It Hurts You” (aired February 14, 1964). If you scroll the screen really fast, you will feel that Soupy Sales is turning his head to look at you, just as he did in 1964.

I know Bibi Osterwald best as Boothy in The World of Henry Orient (1964). I know Soupy Sales as a funny, funny figure from local children’s television when I was a boy. Think of him as the anti-Fred (Rogers, that is). (Here’s a complete show from 1965, in three parts.) Dawn Nickerson has disappeared from film and television, but she appears to be on Facebook.

Oh, and it wouldn’t be a Sales effort without pies.


[Sales and Martin Milner.]

Elaine and I watched all 116 episodes of Route 66 this spring and summer, starting in April and ending in July. What a great television series: terrific writing, terrific acting, terrific cinematography, an amazing array of guest stars, and locations, locations, locations. Naked City is the only other show in its class.

Related reading
All Route 66 posts (Pinboard)

comments: 2

Anonymous said...

I purchased the "Route 66" complete DVD series in May 2012. I'm watching the episodes in order and the most recent episode I watched was "Shoulder The Sky, My Lad"........but when, oh when, is Image Entertainment going to release "Naked City - The Complete Series"?

Michael Leddy said...

If you find out, let me know. :)