Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Feeding time

If you are reading Orange Crate Art in Google Reader, you’d better choose a new reader before July 1, when Google shuts things down. Otherwise, we will be torn asunder posthaste. Of the 13,295 readers now subscribed to Orange Crate Art, 12,835 use Google Reader. That’s a lot of asunder.

It’s easy to keep reading all your feeds by exporting them from Google Reader and importing them to another app or service. To export from Google Reader, go to Settings (the gear icon), Reader Settings, Import/Export, Download your data through Takeout, Create Archive. Then use the Archive to import your feeds elsewhere. It’s quick and easy.

I would imagine that many Reader users are still wondering which way to go. I’ve settled on two alternatives: Feedly and The Old Reader. Feedly is slick; The Old Reader is dowdy. I use Feedly on my Macs (with a Chrome plug-in) and as an iPad app. The Old Reader is available from any device. My main misgiving about Feedly: it takes too many liberties with images.

Here, if you need it, is the feed for Orange Crate Art. The link is also available from the sidebar.

*

A reader suggested adding a widget to allow for e-mail subscriptions. There’s now one in the sidebar. Thanks, reader.

*

Nope, widget’s gone. All that’s needed for an e-mail subscription is the right URL to follow.

comments: 7

Anonymous said...

Perhaps you could put the "Follow by Email" widget in the sidebar, thus allowing us to dump a reader all together. Or, better yet, link to new posts via Twitter, which is way more fun than a reader.

Michael Leddy said...

I just added that widget — thanks for the suggestion. I don’t think I’m cut out for Twitter, but I’ll think about it.

Gunther said...

For those who are still looking for a new newsreader: After testing some online and Windows readers and finding them disappointing I have purchased a license for Fever. It is based on PHP and MySQL, runs on your own server and works perfect (at least for me). – I am not connected with Shaun Inman but just a happy customer.

Michael Leddy said...

Thanks for sharing that recommendation, Gunther.

Elaine said...

To be honest, i do not understand anything. I was not aware i HAD a Reader. I do not comprehend the instructions. If something goes away, can i not just sort of reFollow?

I am becoming one of those Change Haters....

Michael Leddy said...

Elaine, if you follow in Blogger, that’s a separate thing from using Google Reader. If you don’t go to http://www.google.com/reader/, then you’re not using Google Reader. :)

Elaine said...

YAY!!!!! THANKS.