Saturday, June 15, 2013

A last-minute Father’s Day gift idea

It occurs to me to offer a suggestion: the Tweezerman Nail Clipper Set (about $9). Here’s a review. I’ve had a Tweezerman set for several weeks now, and I always look forward to using it, even if trimming one’s nails is a reminder of mortality.

Nicholson Baker has a wonderful essay about the nail clipper and its appeal to us men, “Clip Art.” Any dad would be thrilled to get a Tweezerman set tomorrow.

[About nails and mortality: I learned that in college.]

comments: 4

Fresca said...

I forgot Father's Day this year--not that my 82-year-old father particularly minds, as far as I can tell, and he certainly doesn't need anything, but I felt a bit bad about it, so I'm thrilled (really!) to come across this recommendation.

When I was a kid, I always wanted to surprise my father with some exotic, unexpected gift, but he always seemed to like best the wool socks my mother said he would like. These clippers are exactly the sort of thing he would love, and I am going to order some for him.
Thank you!

Michael Leddy said...

You’re welcome. I hope he likes them.

Fresca said...

He does!
My father does like the Tweezerman nail clippers, that is, which I finally sent him last month.

He wrote, "They get the job done," which is high praise in his world.

Michael Leddy said...

Thanks for letting me know (and making me smile).