Sunday, April 21, 2013

Record Store Day


[Click for larger stickers.]

Yesterday was Record Store Day, and I went to Exile on Main Street in Champaign, Illinois. The store is long and narrow, and the line of (mostly younger) people moving into and through the store and back up to the register never let up. Shopping was a matter of filing slowly, slowly, past the merchandise and stopping to browse when appropriate. (It made me remember filing past the Pietà at the New York World’s Fair.) I spent about an hour, a pleasant hour, to get what I had come for, a 180-gram vinyl reissue of Van Dyke Parks’s Song Cycle (a Record Store Day exclusive).

And there were stickers. In the second row from the bottom, on the right, Taj Mahal’s The Natch’l Blues (1968), reissued on 180-gram vinyl for the Day. I bought that album not long after it came out — I must have been twelve or thirteen. Still have it. Still works good.

A related post
Record stores

comments: 2

Pete said...

My dad's musical tastes didn't overlap at all with mine (he liked Arthur Fiedler and Glenn Miller), but one fond memory I have is the time he came into my room while I was listening to The Natch'l Blues. Glancing at the album cover, he pointed to "She Caught the Katy and Left Me a Mule to Ride" and explained that "the Katy" was the Kansas, Atchison and Topeka railroad. I already figured it was a railroad, but it was nice to learn the specific name, especially so unexpectedly.

Michael Leddy said...

I wonder if he was remembering that other song.