Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Higher Education PSA


[Read from left to right, and click on any image for a larger view. Notice “N.Y. 36”: the world before ZIP codes.]

I don’t know how often such PSAs aired. I do know that the beautifully executed PSA that provides these images aired on December 12, 1962, after the Naked City episode “King Stanislaus and the Knights of the Round Stable.”

The exhortation to “Give to the college of your choice” has been superseded, I’d say, by the bumper-sticker proclamation “My daughter/son and my money go to                 .” I’ve never understood what tone of voice goes with that sticker: rueful? snarky? proud?

And while I’m asking questions: Can someone tell me what’s happening in the fourth image?

[Yes, Stable. ]

comments: 1

Elaine said...

It looks something like a pair of kidneys to me. LOL