Thursday, October 25, 2012

“I remember”

I remember “wine and cheese.”

*

The artist and writer Joe Brainard (1942–1994) gave the world a deceptively simple writing prompt: “I remember,” two words to begin a sentence or a paragraph. The above “I remember” dropped into my head yesterday morning, apropos of nothing. About “wine and cheese”: when I was in college, it seemed that every on-campus event promised, as added attractions, wine and cheese. Impossible now. But what a grown-up way for young adults to learn how to enjoy alcohol: a little food, a little wine, some conversation.

Do you remember “wine and cheese”? If not, what do you remember? You’re welcome to leave an “I remember” or two or three or more in the form of a comment. Why not?

Related posts
Beans Spasms returns
Good advice on looking at art
I remember Sgt. Pepper
I remember Thanksgiving

[Also: Joe Brainard loved Nancy.]

comments: 2

Elaine Fine said...

I remember Halloween. When I was in elementary school it meant going to our school in the evening in costume, and going through "the horror tunnel." There was a tunnel that connected two of the school's buildings via their two basements. The teachers transformed the staircase that we normally used to go to the basement (and "go to the basement" was a euphemism for "go to the bathroom" because that is where the bathrooms were all located) into a chute that we slid down. They were all dressed as goblins, and did their best to scare us while we walked through the "haunted" tunnel. There were activities at the end of the tunnel, and we all trick-or-treated our way home.

I remember the way the uncomfortable Woolworth masks smelled, and the clammy way it felt when they got filled with condensation.

Michael Leddy said...

I haven’t thought of those masks in years. Now I’m remembering the smell, and the condensation too.