Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Recipes I stopped reading

<read>

3/4 cup reduced fat peanut butter
1 cup light corn syrup
</read>

Previously on Orange Crate Art
Another recipe I stopped reading

[This one’s from a box of Grape-Nuts.]

comments: 6

Unknown said...

Yech! I'd have stopped reading, too. For one thing, if you are using Peanut Butter, I say go for the real thing...and corn syrup? Really? I thought part of the whole point of cooking for yourself is to avoid all the crud they add to processed foods. Like stinking corn syrup. I guess that makes up for the reduced-fat peanut butter.....

Michael Leddy said...

I just discovered that reduced-fat peanut butter (“peanut butter spread”) makes up for the missing peanuts with corn syrup solids, sugar, and soy protein. So it’s like adding corn syrup to corn syrup.

Elaine said...

Pretty hilarious. It's like the new Go-Lean cereals with more crunch--achieved by adding sweeteners. Losing 35 lbs has been worth it, but food companies have not made it easy.

normann said...

When I lived in the US, I bought Smucker's "natural" peanut butter, where the peanut oil rises to the top and needs to be vigrously stirred in and refrigerated to keep the mixture from separating. In Norway, supermarkets sell only the usual maltodextrin-sweetened homogenized peanut butter containing hydrogenated Minerva-knows-what-kind-of-vegetable oil (so smooth). Luckily, we have a health food store in our neighborhood that carries organic, natural nut butters (almond and hazelnut butters are my favorites).

Michael Leddy said...

Elaine, I‘ll have to look at the box of Kashi in our kitchen cabinet.

Norman, I would’ve expected the better option to be found in Norwegian supermarkets. We have Smucker’s natural in our house, always.

I am now jonesing for some Saltines and peanut butter. Excuse me.

Michael Leddy said...

The thought of Chinese food with olive oil is making me uneasy. Worse though: we once had a restaurant dish (Mongolian beef?) which tasted of what must have been unignited lighter fluid.