Friday, April 13, 2012

Rae Armantrout in NYT crossword

I’m giving away an answer, late in the day. If you do the syndicated New York Times crossword puzzle, please forget about this post within the next five weeks and six days.

I’m happy to see Rae Armantrout in the Times crossword. Years ago (1994) I wrote the first “scholarly” article on her work. Go Rae!

[And while I think of it: can we acknowledge that when in east-central Illinois someone refers to “the Times,” it’s only a persnickety snob who insists on asking “Which one?” Which one do ya think?]

comments: 4

Elaine said...

I had to Google RAE... Three Googles for that puzzle--all names unknown to me; this is a Fail, but oh well.

Will have to look up some of this poet's work.

Michael Leddy said...

Here’s a Rae Armantrout sampler.

I end up using xwordinfo.com when in need. Is Google more ethical? :)

Elaine said...

Thanks for the links, which mainly confirm that (a) she and I were born the same year, but (b) under different signs.

Google is more of a chance-taking route. If one sees Rex Parker at the top of the Search results, it confirms Obscurity in the clue/answer and makes one feel better about the FAIL. Sort of.

Michael Leddy said...

Rex’s take on what’s obscure and ridiculous seems almost always on target to me (though he missed Rae A.).

Heads up: tomorrow’s puzzle is pretty delightful.