Friday, January 13, 2012

Waterstones’s missing apostrophe

David Marsh, who created International Apostrophe Day, isn’t troubled by the disappearance of the apostrophe from the name of the British book chain Waterstones (was Waterstone’s). Nor am I. It’s tedious turning names ending in ’s into possessives. Consider Chuck E. Cheese’s.

Other apostrophe posts
Apostrophes and corn
Apostrophes and vandalism
LETS PLAY TWO

comments: 4

Sean said...

...harumph!

I'm going to pack up all my proper-noun possessives in my old kit bag, and bring them for sustenance on my eventual trip to the high mountaintop; the place from where I'll likely be hurling my pronouncements. :)

(Or, just hurling from all the climbing.)

Michael Leddy said...

Don’t forget the misplaced apostrophe in Lands’s End. :)

Sean said...

Alas, in this one thing, I am not a Neo-Ledd'ite. :)

Michael Leddy said...

That’s a better joke on the name than the one I lived with in kidhood (my dad in his too), which had to do with atomic number 82 and the human cranium. :)