Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Stop PIPA and SOPA


Yes, I am opposed to PIPA and SOPA and have let my representatives in Congress know that. As a Blogger user, I cannot “go dark.” I don’t want to either. I already have enough problems when I try to use Blogger on an iPad.

The images above are the work of Sam Anderson, found here.

Further reading
Stop American Censorship (Fight for the Future)
Stop the Internet Blacklist Legislation (Electronic Frontier Foundation)

comments: 6

The Arthurian said...

Hello, Michael.

Google's blacked-out logo didn't do anything for me. But I went to a site that offers the text of old economics books to search for something in The General Theory, and that site was shut down for the day to protest SOPA & PIPA. That convinced me to sign Google's petition.

Nice blog. Your recent 'twitter' post had me laughing. I found your site in a Google search for 'was vs were'.

(I hope you don't mind if I put the period outside the quotes :)
Art

Michael Leddy said...

Thanks, Art.

You know, I think about the placement of the period whenever I make a link that ends up looking like “this fake one.” Logical punctuation is indeed logical, though I haven’t crossed over (yet).

The Arthurian said...

Michael, I had to come back. I much time re-writing and preparing my posts, and it's nice to know I'm not the only one who dwells on grammar, punctuation, and spelling.

Actually, my decision to put periods outside the quotes was recent, and due to the feeling that I was changing quoted material by adding punctuation -- as your Logical Punctuation link said. Thanks for that link, by the way.

My decision was justified mostly as poetic license ("It's my blog, after all!") but it wasn't an easy decision. It only applied to periods. Now after talking to you I have moved commas outside the quotes as well. Thanks!!

My topic is always the economy. And I like to think I can learn from anyone (as I know I can, with computers) but when I run upon a writer who cannot get the plurals right, or the punctuation, I immediately distrust the idea the writer hopes to convey. Simple literacy, I think.

Wife's away. Guess I just felt like talking. Thanks.

Michael Leddy said...

Thanks for coming back. It’ll be interesting to see whether “official” approaches to punctuation change over the next few years.

Sam Anderson said...

Thanks for giving me credit for the badges!

Michael Leddy said...

You’re welcome, Sam.