Thursday, December 1, 2011

Chrome v. Firefox

StatCounter reports that for the first time, Chrome has overtaken Firefox in worldwide popularity:

The firm’s research arm StatCounter Global Stats reports that Chrome took 25.69% of the worldwide market (up from 4.66% in November 2009) compared to Firefox’s 25.23%. Microsoft’s Internet Explorer still maintains a strong lead globally with 40.63%. . . .

In the US Internet Explorer continues to perform strongly and is maintaining market share at 50.66%, up slightly from 50.24% year on year. Firefox retains second place on 20.09%, down from 26.75%. Chrome is up to 17.3% from 10.89%. Safari is on 10.76% from 10.71%.
Orange Crate Art readers dance to the beat of a different percussion section. My most recent StatCounter stats (last 500 visits):
Firefox30%
Chrome26.6%
Internet Explorer19.8%
Safari17.8%
Mobile devices  4.4%
All others  1.4%
I’ve been using Chrome on a Mac and find that I have no interest in installing Firefox. Being able to use HTML5 to play YouTube clips is one advantage of Chrome. Speed is another — the thing is just plain fast.

comments: 2

normann said...

I need Firefox in order to use an applet on the Norway Post website if I want them to hold my mail while I am away. The applet does not run on Safari or Chrome. Otherwise I don't use Firefox.

Michael Leddy said...

Isn’t is strange that the Internets don’t yet just work with all browsers? (I know though that making a site available for various sorts of machines can be troublesome and expensive.)

Norman, do you generally use Chrome? I find it much better than Safari with OS X Lion.