Tuesday, November 1, 2011

The American Heritage Dictionary,
fifth edition

The fifth edition of The American Heritage Dictionary is out today, in print and as an app, and with a free website of limited usefulness. (Compare, say, the treatment of irregardless in the online American Heritage and the online Merriam-Webster.)

I would like to go out and buy this dictionary today. O reason not the need, King Lear said. But with the Oxford English Dictionary, Webster’s Third New International, and at least a dozen other dictionaries in the house, and the OED online, and dictionaries on my Mac and iPad, I think I’m full up dictionary-wise (at least if I plan on buying the Fourth New International, whenever it appears).

*

June 24, 2012: The online AHD now has a lengthy usage note for irregardless. Hmm.

comments: 0