Monday, July 25, 2011

BBC on podcasts

From the BBC: Podcasts: Who still listens to them?

The answer would seem to be “Lots of people.” The point of the article is that interest in podcasts continues to grow, though Facebook and Twitter get more attention.

Me, I barely keep up with three podcasts: Joe Bussard’s Country Classics, This American Life, and To the Best of Our Knowledge. How about you?

[“Facebook and Twitter”: I find it difficult to use the term social media without wincing.]

comments: 7

Elaine Fine said...

I am a faithful listener to those two, plus "The Story and Radio Open Source. Taking a podcast on a walk is a great treat.

Matt Thomas said...

I’d be remiss if I didn’t plug Spark, Studio 360, and Radiolab.

Rachel said...

I listen to the MaxFun family of podcasts and TAL! This week's TAL is fantastic!

Slywy said...

I try to listen to The Writer's Almanac, Essays and Commentaries (when it works — from a Virginia radio station), and the HSW series on the brain, history, and how stuff works. I'm up to nearly 700 in backlogs . . .

brownstudy said...

I Like the BBC4 Radio podcasts of Saturday Review, In Our Time, and Great Lives. Also Mac Power Users and, because I am a sufferer, the iProcrastinate Podcast.

By the time I've listened to all the saved-up shows for one of these, there are backed-up episodes of other podcasts. But it's a nice way to pass the time when I commute.

normann said...

I use podcasts as a way to keep up with what is going on in the US (and Canada). Almost the first thing I do every morning after booting up is to download the podcasts of "NBC Nightly News" and "The National", the CBC evening news, and watch them in a iPhone-sized window in the upper right-hand corner of my screen while I do my morning surfing.

When I am traveling, podcasts keep me in touch with what is going on back home. Right now I am listening to a podcast of NRK's "Dagsnytt Atten", a live radio news and interview show. I could listen to it live, in theory, but I normally have other things to do at 9 am PDT.

Michael Leddy said...

Thanks, everyone, for sharing these titles.