Thursday, May 26, 2011

Cave of Forgotten Dreams

“We are locked in history, and they were not”: director Werner Herzog, in his documentary film Cave of Forgotten Dreams (2010), an exploration of the Chauvet Cave in southern France.

This film is a powerful reminder of the vastness of time and of one’s own small place in it. My favorite moments: archaeologist Jean-Michel Geneste speaking of the human impulse to make marks on strange objects, and master perfumer Maurice Maurin seeking out hidden caves with his sense of smell.

Elaine and I saw this 3-D film in two dimensions. I doubt that we missed much. If we did, please let me know.

[Making marks on strange objects: like this screen, for instance.]

comments: 2

Geo-B said...

I tend to think of cave paintings on flat or gently curved surfaces (it's certainly what I would look for, painting in a dark cave). But this is a cave of protuberances, and the artists really took advantages of the irregular surfaces. I'm not a great fan of 3D and I imagine Werner Herzog isn't either, but this really showed that effect, the painted animals with real depth.

Michael Leddy said...

Thanks, George. Maybe we’ll get the chance to see it again with all dimensions accounted for.