Thursday, March 17, 2011

HOUSE TO NPR: DROP DEAD

From the PBS NewsHour:

The House of Representatives approved a measure Thursday to bar federal funding of National Public Radio. The bill also prohibits public radio stations from using federal grant money to pay dues to NPR.

The 228-192 vote came mostly along party lines, with most Republicans backing the proposal and nearly all Democrats opposed. Republicans said it was time for the federal government to get out of the radio business.
All but twelve Republicans voted for the bill: seven voted no, one answered “present,” and four did not vote. No Democrat voted for the bill; seven did not vote. Here’s the roll.

My NPR stations, WILL-AM and -FM, are local treasures. If they were to disappear, I’d have little reason to own a radio. I am sorry but not surprised to see that Congressman Tim Johnson (R, Illinois-15) voted to end federal funding of NPR.

A related post
Going to the meeting (A “town hall meeting” with Tim Johnson)

[If the post title doesn’t ring a bell, see here.]

comments: 6

tmSparty said...

The Tim Johnson vote doesn't surprise you does it?

Michael Leddy said...

No. As I wrote, “I am sorry but not surprised.”

Lisa Ridolfi said...

I think you meant to say, "No Democrat voted for the bill." Yes, the whole thing is so petty and mean.

Michael Leddy said...

Thanks, Lisa. I just fixed it.

stefan said...

I wonder which Republicans said "it was time for the federal government to get out of the radio business." I assume this vow does not include Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, which the federal government has funded for 60 years. I guess free and thoughtful speech is only important when it happens elsewhere and does not threaten conservatives.

Michael Leddy said...

Thanks for that observation, Stefan.