Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Farley Granger (1925–2011)

From the Los Angeles Times:

Farley Granger, a handsome young leading man during Hollywood's post-World War II era who was best known for his starring roles in the Alfred Hitchcock suspense thrillers Strangers on a Train and Rope has died. . . .

Looking back on his career in a 2007 interview with the Star-Ledger of New Jersey, Granger said: “It was just luck. And stubbornness. I wasn’t going to listen to anyone saying you can’t do this, you can’t do that. I didn’t care about that. I was just going to go my own way. I was just determined to live my own life.”
Farley Granger was also terrific in the relatively unknown film Side Street. I think I might have first heard of him in Tom Waits’s song “Burma Shave”: “He kinda looked like Farley Granger, with his hair slicked back.”

comments: 0