Thursday, December 30, 2010

Geraldine Doyle (1924–2010)

[Poster by J. Howard Miller.]

Cellist, metal presser, icon: Geraldine Doyle, Iconic Face of World War II, Dies at 86 (New York Times).

comments: 7

Other Elaine said...

This was on the ABC Nightly News today.... very touching, really, to see an icon pass on. I can't help wondering if her hand/arm position was a secret message....

Your blog has added so much to my year in 2010. Many thanks!

And looking forward to more...

Michael Leddy said...

As a Brooklyn kid, I am familiar with the secret message in question. :)

Thanks for your kind appreciation, Elaine. There should be lots more Orange Crate Art to come.

fboness said...

Pink does a Doyle vignette in the video for her Raise a Glass anthem. Pink has the muscles for real.

Michael Leddy said...

Thanks, fboness. I probably would never have known about it save for your comment.

For anyone who wants to see the video, it’s here.

normann said...

I love propaganda posters. One of my favorites was also from World War II, from a neutral country to boot: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/En_svensk_tiger

Michael Leddy said...

What a cute tiger, like something from a children’s book.

normann said...

BTW, I bought T-shirt in Sweden some years back that is a send-up of the "En Svensk Tiger" poster, featuring an angry-looking moose with blue and yellow tiger stripes.