Saturday, September 18, 2010

Liberace Museum to close

Says Jeffrey P. Koep of the Liberace Foundation, “He had the look that you see the kids doing now that’s very popular.” Well, maybe. No matter: Las Vegas’s Liberace Museum is closing.

comments: 6

Mike said...

I lived in the USA eight years, visited the Liberace Museum in my last few days before I left, and it helped me understand the American psyche more than almost anything else that had gone before. It is an amazing place, seriously, one of the most amazing museums in the world (and I’ve been a museum professional), and it’s very sad to see it close. The Smithsonian should take it over, or at least organise a travelling Liberace show.

Michael Leddy said...

The article mentions going on the road, though not through the Smithsonian.

I once saw a traveling exhibition of Elvis regalia — jumpsuits, sunglasses, and I can’t recall what else. It was a sad and strange experience. (I’d go again.)

William V. Madison said...

For a while there in the late '90s, I made several trips to Las Vegas, and yet somehow there was always some more pressing business than a visit to the Liberace Museum, and I thought there would always be time, later. Ah, well.

Michael Leddy said...

It seems I’m the only one here who hasn’t been to Las Vegas. :)

said...

)))((((((
(0)...(0)
....U....
....O....---{Roy Rogers & now this!
Oh the humanity!!!}

normann said...

A colleague of mine has traveled to Las Vegas several times and on one of these trips actually visited the Liberace Museum. Unfortunately for her, the map she had did not have a scale of miles on it, so what looked like an easy stroll turned out to be five miles in the unrelenting desert sun. Even so, she made it to her destination, somewhat wilted and none the worse for wear, loading up on souvenirs for the folks back home, including a fabulous fridge magnet for me, depicting Władziu Valentino Liberace in all his pouffy-hairpieced, ringed and (faux? surely)-fur-collared glory.