Tuesday, April 6, 2010

The rules of the game

The rules of the game, as spray-painted on a piece of plywood: U HONK WE DRINK. Ah, colledge. And it’s only Tuesday.

[Colledge: my word for “the vast simulacrum of education that amounts to little more than buying a degree on the installment plan.” Colledge cheapens the experience of students who are in college. Colledge students and college students are often found on the very same campus.]

Related reading
All colledge posts

comments: 2

Slywy said...

I'm reading Jean Twenge's Generation Me, which is showing me how little I know. I didn't realize the SAT essay question had been revised. Now you talk only about your perspective. No one else's matter, nor demonstrating the ability to refute an argument, nor to make an argument that you don't support. Well, that certainly explains a lot about the political climate these days.

Michael Leddy said...

I gather from what I read that there are many problems with the SAT essay — an emphasis on length (v. concision) and vocabulary, and a lack of concern about truth to facts.

Political life now does feel like postmodernism with a vengeance, with everyone entitled to her or his own facts.