Friday, December 25, 2009

Rocking the home

Our family played music at a local nursing home this afternoon, as we have for many Christmases. I played guitar and soprano uke; Elaine, viola and sopranino recorder; Rachel, violin; Ben, cello. We use a book of Christmas music marked with Post-it Notes and play the songs we like, some sacred and some secular, ending late in the alphabet with “We Wish You a Merry Christmas.” As often as I've had this experience, I’m still always amazed to see nursing home residents grow more engaged and animated as they listen to music.

Today was an especially good day, and after playing what we thought was our last number, we had a request, for “Silver Bells.” We winged it (in D). And then we tried a number we had chickened out on earlier in the afternoon, “Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree,” which Elaine calls as the most persistent holiday earworm of all. We had a blast, in, yes, a new old-fashioned way: uke, viola, slap-cello, and Rachel and Ben’s voices. I can say in all modesty that we rocked the house, or home.

A related post
Music memory

comments: 2

Elaine Fine said...

I think that "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree" is THE most successful holiday song because it stays with you all year round!

We also learned today that Johnny Marks, the person who wrote that song, is also responsible for writing "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer," "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day," and the ever-popular "A Holly, Jolly Christmas."

I just thought I'd share.

Michael Leddy said...

Johnny Marks for the win!