Wednesday, November 18, 2009

T - U - I - T - I - O - N

The Strike Committee of the Graduate Employees’ Organization (GEO) at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign has voted to suspend its strike. The strike won protection for tuition waivers for graduate employees (a basic element of graduate education). As they say on the Internet, GEO FTW!

I’m proud of those grad students (at least one of whom is a former student of mine) and of my undergrad son Ben, who picketed, drummed, and contributed a chant:

T - U - I - T - I - O - N, waive it and we’ll teach again.
A related post
Grad employees on strike at UIUC

comments: 1

Elaine Fine said...

This is an example of real education at work. I am so proud of Ben and of all the other undergraduate students who stood out in the rain from dawn until dusk to do what was right. And I am very proud of the GEO for its superb organization. I am also glad that the administration came to (or was forced to come to) its senses.