Thursday, October 15, 2009

The parsnip

Its flavor: light, earthy, mellow, sweet. Hail to thee, blithe parsnip!

[Elaine made a glorious vegetable stew last night that reminded how much I like the parsnip.]

Update: Parsnip fans should take a look at the comments for a soup recipe from Julia Ringma, who doesn’t believe in keeping recipes secret.

comments: 3

Julia Ringma said...

We never had parsnips as kids because my mother didn't like them. I discovered them as an adult and they are so sweet! Now I make a killer cream of parsnip soup with fresh ginger.

I got the recipe from Anne Lindsay's "The Lighthearted Cookbook", about heart-smart cookery. (The copyright date is 1988!) It was actually written in conjunction (or under the auspices of) the Heart and Stroke Foundation of Ontario. Consequently, some of the recipes are a little bland, but you can always add more salt if you like it! And usually, when I make soup, I use my own chicken stock so it is pretty flavourful. And I often saute the vegetables before cooking them in stock, to carmelize the natural sugars and that adds flavour. Here is my version:

1 onion, chopped,
4 parsnips, peeled and chopped
2 cups chicken stock
1 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger root
3/4 cup milk

Saute the onion in the bottom of a soup pot, in a little olive oil, until onion is translucent.
Add parsnips and saute a few minutes.
Add stock and simmer, covered about 10 minutes or until parsnips are tender.
Puree stock and veg in a blender. Put puree back in soup pot.
Add ginger, milk and salt and pepper to taste. Heat through.

Mmm.

I once heard this woman say she called her West Highland Terrier "Parsnip" because it was small and white and sweet, and usually covered in dirt.

Michael Leddy said...

Julia, thank you for sharing this recipe. I somehow suspect we’ll be trying a vegan version very soon.

Michael Leddy said...

The soup’s great! Elaine made a version with Silk Light (soymilk) and Swanson vegetable broth. Thanks again, Julia.