Friday, July 3, 2009

Something's coming

With a click, with a shock,
Phone’ll jingle, door’ll knock,
Open the latch!
It's difficult to see how a midterm resignation creates a good foundation for a presidential campaign. And if resignation is meant to create that foundation, why announce it on the Friday before a national holiday? Politicians wait for Fridays to announce what they would prefer be ignored.

I suspect that something's coming, some deep complication, personal or political. Perhaps not in the form of a phone call at 6:00 a.m., as with my ex-governor, the inimitable Rod Blagojevich. But somehow, some day, somewhere in Alaska.

{With apologies to Leonard Bernstein and Stephen Sondheim.]

Update, July 7, 2009: Elaine thinks that the ex-governor-to-be wants to chair the Republican National Committee.

comments: 3

stefan said...

Something certainly is coming. My guess is that "something" will look a lot like a cushy job at Fox News. (Thanks for the chance to make my prediction nice and official.)

Michael Leddy said...

I think something more troubling is in the offing. But I suspect a future in "media" too.

DF said...

I agree with you, Michael. The timing is tell-tale; we just have to wait for the tale.