Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The quick brown fox . . .

The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog. No, really: watch.

Wikipedia has an astute article on the fox, the dog, and their sentence.

(Thanks, Macon!)

comments: 3

JuliaR said...

When I read the Wiki article, I got stuck on it saying the phrase was used in the movie Stripes. I have seen Stripes many times and to the best of my knowledge, Bill Murray drills his platoon by saying, "Why did the chicken cross the road? To get to the other side!" I don't remember him talking about the fox, do you?

And my husband and I regularly do dialogue from the movie, especially when triggered by key words like "training".

"Where have you been?"
"Training! Sir!"
"What kind of training, soldier?"
"ARMY training, sir!"

It cracks us up every time.

Loved the video.

JuliaR said...

You know what? Now that I posted a comment, I think maybe Murray does use that line. Oh well. Sorry!

Michael Leddy said...

No problem — it’s always reasonable to check on Wikipedia. The line is also mentioned in the IMDb entry for the movie.